*sigh* here I am 22 years old and still going to school. This fall will mark the 4th year of college for me. However, unfortunately I am not graduating...this is due to my lack in motivation, my fear of college and largely because, until last year I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grow up. So I spent the first two years of my college career doing EVERYTHING but my generals. I took interior design classes, ice skating classes, raquetball classes, bowling, film, golf (sadly, it came to that), photography, drawing, and even several Pilates classes. I did everything to try to avoid taking any classes that would seriously challenge me...I was terrified of failing.
But now here I am almost to year four and I love college....well I shouldn't get ahead of myself. I don't love college...but I don't know what I would do without it. It motivates me strangely enough. Everyday when I go to class I feel smarter, and better for doing what I know I can do now. I know that I can do college, I honestly know that about myself. And college is what made me see that I can do college. :)
And as for my motivation...it magnanimously grew. For instance; in the last month I have learned more about writing, American History, Science, sewing, reading, movies, and even the universe...literally. (I'm taking Astronomy) School has, oddly enough, also helped my testimony grow in my religion. As such I am now planning to spend a year and half serving the Lord. Yes I am planning to go on an LDS mission in the very near future and I cannot wait!
So college, for all its painful, distasteful, unbearable, unbelievable, insipid, ridiculous annoyances, has actually helped me. So I would like to take this moment to say thank you. Not only to the actual institution, but also to those teachers who constantly tried to pry socialism down my throat, or those who pushed me to do things that didn't think I could do, for those teachers or professors (as some liked to be called) who decided that I was worth it. For those in the financial aid department who had to suffer my wrath when I wasn't paid on time. And especially for my family and those around me who knew I could do it and constantly gave me encouragement! Finally, thank you, Utah Valley University! I know that you have only just become a real live university, but I was there with you when you were still just a state college. And you have always (most of the time) been good to me. And I thank you for that! I thank you for those good times when I had to spend 90 dollars on a parking pass only to spend an hour looking for a spot. Those times when I fell asleep in the desks in the Computer Science building, or when I had to run from the L.A. building to the G.T. building in only ten minutes time. I thank you for those wonderful memories! And I wish you nothing but good things and bigger parking lots!
Love Briana (your favorite student)
No comments:
Post a Comment