Saturday, July 25, 2009


I felt my heart beating faster as I stared longingly at the tree ahead of me. I wanted it, that was not doubted, but how badly I wanted it was the question in my mind. Was I willing to give all to achieve this long awaited goal? Was I willing to sacrifice my life to achieve that which was precious above all? I could almost feel the soft breeze that blew around this glorious gift, almost feel the taste of my finished goal, and almost, as if I was standing there on that hill, could I feel the love that must surround such a wondrous place.

But I had lost sight of my goal, I had given a piece of myself to feel loved for just a moment. Not a love that would last but a sort of fleeting love that would in the end leave me feeling empty. I had put in jeopardy the very gift I had been asked to protect, only to find something that I thought I had wanted more. Could I now, after I had risked everything, return to that goal? Would that man who cared for the tree accept me as I was? Would I be able to continue on?

I stared at the tree through a dark fog in utter despair, watching my goal slowly slip through my fingers. How could I find it now?

Suddenly through the darkness there was a small glimmer of brightness. A tiny light, that grew slowly along with my hope. A smooth warmth filled my heart and finally I knew. Yes I was willing to give, willing to sacrifice my very life in pursuit of this goal, this love that was above all, most precious and sacred. And so I stood in the darkness and watched as the light filled the space around me. I would, I can, I will walk on.

No comments: