Monday, June 22, 2009

Under the California Sun


It is now June 22 and I am enjoying my summer in beautiful, sunny California, where the sun is warm and the people are a different kind of crazy. I miss Utah and my friends there, but I have made some really great friends here.
I have already learned so much in the month and a half that I have been living here. One thing that I learned is that I actually do want to have children... I know that seems sad that I would not want to have children, but I just didn't feel up to having kids. (luckily it wasn't something I had to decide right away.) But I think because I had been living the single life for so long that when I would babysit for my sisters I wouldn't feel free like I did when I was alone at my apartment and all I had to worry about was me and what I wanted to do. But now after spending some real time with my nieces and nephew, I find that I actually would love to have kids.
I also learned that I am picky when it comes to guys and that I need to learn to lighten up... at least according to almost every person in my family and almost every friend who has really known me. So that is something that I am going to be working on this summer.
I also just learned (thanks to facebook adds) that free doesn't ACTUALLY mean free... it means free after you purchase 'this' or only after you pay for shipping and handling. I also just had an epiphany that this was not just true of the offers on facebook but also something that is part of daily life. When you see a sign that says free usually in smaller print you'll find that you have to buy something first. Not to be a downer...it's just something I realized. Now there are a few things that come free, a few things that are actually free in the true meaning of free. Like free samples at the grocery store... those are usually free without having to buy anything.
That seems like a downer and it sounds like I am bitter...but I am just realizing this, so for those of you who have already come to this conclusion, know that I am not bitter about it (Not really anyway) I just have come to this knowledge and therefore feel that I must write about it.
Along with all this inspired knowledge that I have already written about, I found something else. See I am living at my sister's house with her and her husband and kids. And because they only have three rooms I am on the couch... by no fault of my sister or her family... but because I have never desired to wake up to a baby crying and the only other place for me to stay would be in the girls room. (my twin niece's) So I have now stayed on my sister's couch for the last month and a half. It's actually not so bad... well not as bad as some would think. It's a comfortable couch and I enjoy not having to make a bed. Which is a big thing for me... it's one thing that I really do not like to do. I have thought about moving into the girls room anyway... hoping that maybe it would be better for me even though I would wake up when the girls wake up.
But back to what I have learned... see sleeping on the couch and having no real place to put my stuff... i find that it's a lot harder to have any motivation for anything really. So I haven't exercised since I was in school, which was several months ago. So as you could probably guess, I have put on some weight... not a lot... but it's definitely more than I would like to have on me. So I haven't really known what to do... how do I exercise? I hate running. I have no money to go to a gym. But I realize that a really great exercise, something that I think many people take for granted, that I love to do anyway... dance. Dancing is a great way to get your heart rate going and a fun way to lose weight! I think that this is an ingenious idea! Who doesn't love to dance?? Who doesn't love music?
I think that if everyone spent 30 min a day getting up and dancing to some fun music, they would loose weight as fast or maybe faster than most exercises. I mean I am not any sort of expert on the body or exercise or ways to be healthy... it's just something that has really got my heart rate going. and it's a good movement to help with weight loss. I might just start my own workout videos... yeah that sounds like a great idea! lol
But those are the things that I have learned so far this summer. I have come more into my own and learned who I am... I have also learned more ways to loose weight, I learned that I can be a little up tight and that I stress about things that are not things to stress over, I learned that I do actually want to be a mom, and I learned that sometimes the world does want to screw you over but it's nothing to be bitter about...
I know that this entry might not make total sense but these are truly things that I have learned so far and I felt the need to write about it. It's OK... It's just the Scottish in me...

No comments: